An on-going list of political and social action items to keep you aware in these rage-inducing times.
-Artist celebrates nature and its impermanence with morning altars, floral mandalas. Lots of delish photos!
-In Netflix‘s ’Siempre Bruja,‘ a Time-Traveling Afro-Colombian Witch Adjusts to Life in 2019.
– SmartJane has released kit to test for several strains of HPV, STIs, and general vaginal flora balance at home. No review yet on its convenience or accuracy but a concept to watch!
-For Those in Grief, Talking to a Dead Loved One Is Good for Mental Health.
-Fuck this guy. Pence is first VP to speak at anti-gay group’s Values Voter Summit.
-Since Standing Rock, 56 Bills Have Been Introduced in 30 States to Restrict Protests.
-The Esperanza Immigrant Rights Project helps unaccompanied minors through the US immigration process. They are raising funds to expand legal capacity. Donate here.
-Thank Dr. Christine Blasey Ford for choosing to give such courageous testimony despite personal cost. sample letter, ” I am thankful for your service to truth and to our democracy. You are what makes America great. Be well and know that many, many hearts are with you.”
Address: c/o Palo Alto University, 1791 Arastradero Rd, Palo Alto, CA 94304 (suggestion from the Americans of Conscience Checklist)
Below you will find items from previous newsletters that are still relevant:
-Look up your local candidates’ backgrounds on Ballotpedia.
– There are decent people who do good things! Cheer yourself up with the latest stories from What Went Right.
-A Texan‘s Political Guide to Resisting Trump. Not just for Texans!
-These Women Made a Database of Black Women Running for Office in 2018. Links to the list and info about the rad-ass women behind it.
– Check out Jen Hoffman’s new year activism challenge with her activism plan worksheet and a bonus self care worksheet. Sign up for her weekly newsletter which is so ridiculous more thorough than ours!
– Join the Handmaid’s Resistance! Get updates about events, resources, organizing your own event and more.
– fire up that cellular device and oppose the rollback of birth control coverage, defend childhood immigrants and DREAMers, denounce Trump’s ban on transgender troops, tell DeVos to maintain title IX protections for campus assault victims. Or pick any other five issues from 5 Calls, there are 31 active issues! Bonus points: follow up with emails and faxes through an app (see below) or good ole snail mail.
– Try the Stance app. Record a voice message and will send it directly to your representative’s phone.
– Head to the House of Representatives website to find your rep in congress and contact them! Emails are great, phone calls are better, but do something. Contact them until the poor, unpaid interns who have to answer the phones all day know you by name. Contact them until everyone cries because you will not stop until your rep knows exactly where you stand on all the issues.
– Follow your congress(wo)man on Twitter or periodically check-in (if clouding your social media feed with their trash is too repulsive), representatives will often tweet about upcoming town halls. Attend town halls.
– If you are in a time crunch and want to contact your senators or representatives but can’t get to a town hall, check out this genius texting bot called Resistbot. You will have to come up with a short message, but the bot will fax your legislators DAILY if you so desire. Resistbot is now available on Facebook Messenger, with even more features than ever. If you are not using this, it is simply the fastest, best way to contact your state and federal representatives.
– The Women’s March is a goldmine of resources and suggested actions to combat the growing voice of racism, bigotry, and sexism. Follow them on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram as well!
– Check out The American Civil Liberties Union’s (ACLU) handy-dandy doc Know Your Rights for when you’re out there on the street peacefully protesting and expressing your motherfuckin’ right to civil disobedience. In fact, while you’re at it, donate some cash monies if you can. Here in ‘Merica we vote with our dollars.
– One of the handiest resistance guides out right now is the Indivisible Guide. A wealth of information and actions.
-If you are a Texas resident, you can go to the Texas Legislature Online and sign-up for an account, allowing you to view legislative content and add bills to an alert list. Whenever a bill you’ve put on your list is updated, you’ll receive an alert. Also, feel free to check out our list of Texas legislative bills that we are monitoring and updating. Stay woke, witches.
-Check out Planned Parenthood Texas Vote‘s guide on attending legislative committee hearings where the public is given the opportunity to provide input and feedback on proposed laws.
– Don’t over extend yourself! Yes, we’d all like to fix all the problems right the fuck now, but that’s not practical. You will burn yourself out if you try to keep up with everything in this country (and world for that matter) that needs fixing, so we recommend you come up with a short list of the most important social issues to you. This does not mean you don’t care about everything! We know you do! But we can’t all be doing everything all the time.