Uncoven Issue #3
Episode 11 Show Notes
On this episode, we discuss warding, protection, and self-care. Lily talks about bindrunes, Scarlet and Jaye discuss crystals and geodes, Blackbird talks about energy medicine.
For books on energy medicine, Blackbird recommends checking out Donna Eden’s books.
Lily also invents a game we can call “What Would Summon You?” that we recommend you play with your friends right the fuck meow.
Special shout out to Scarlet who will be speaking at Con of Thrones at the end of the month on the “Magic of Asshai 101.”
Check out our brand spanking new web-o-net pages at Hex Rated Podcast!
Howdy witches! In late March I was approaching my ten year wedding anniversary and felt the urge to commemorate this milestone with some witchcraft. I didn’t find a ritual or invocation online that worked for me, so I decided to improvise it up. Thanks to my pack-rat habits of holding on to things, I just happened to have an overflowing basket of dried roses filled with bouquets my husband gifted me over the years. These were a perfect symbol of our love to use for an offering!
Ready to get my craft on, I began by removing the rose heads and placing them in the bowl. Once I had enough roses, I removed my gloves so I could feel the roses as I was grounding them. I kept running my bare hands though the petals and imbuing them with my love and gratitude.
I lifted my bowl to inhale the fragrant mixture and called out to Frigga:
The Beloved Mother,
I ask you here to bless my marriage.
To thank you for our sacred bond.
May you weave everlasting love into our marriage as intricately as you weave the Thread of Life.
Steadily spinning friendship and fidelity into the very fabric of our union.
I then walked the perimeter of my home and scattered the crushed petals, whispering my gratitude to the wind for the decade of marriage and for the many more years of love ahead.
It was a simple ritual made on the fly with items on hand. Sometimes that is what works best. If you are feeling the desire to honor a relationship, just take a look around you. Maybe you have mementos, writings or photos you have been holding on to that you can work with. Consider how you can utilize these things in a ritual. Make a mandala with them, read the writings aloud or whatever the muses tell you to do. For me it was making some rad potpourri for Frigga. Work with what you got!
What the books get wrong about Sagittarius dudes
Not all Scorpio men are assholes, but when they are it is like this:
A Scorpio guy will lie when telling the truth is easier just to have a secret. The almost always fib about where they are going or with whom. Nonsensically, half the time they are doing something completely benign with perfectly upstanding people so if they get caught in the lie, they’ve made an innocent situation seem suspicious for no reason.
Relationships and flirtation are all a game to asshole Scorpios. It’s a competition to see who can get the other to admit to liking the other more. Once they feel like they’ve got the upper hand, they win. It’s also why they’re addicted to ringing up old flames out of blue or even rekindling entire relationships to prove it once and for all.
Their signature move is to make seemingly grand declarations of their affection when, in reality, such assertions cannot be proven or disproven. For example, long after a breakup, they’ll casually “confess” that they would’ve stayed or committed if only you’d “said something” or some other romantic chick-flick, near-miss cliche. Of course, you can’t go back in time for a do-over to really find out. They do this to bait YOU into making your own confession of love. Gotcha.
The White Sands National Monument of New Mexico is a hypnotic sight to behold. It is 275 square miles of glittering white gypsum sand. The sky is a vivid blue contrast against the bold waves of the ghostly white dunes.
The Alkali Flat Trail can provide surreal otherworldly views. It is a five mile round trip, but be warned, it will take much more effort than hiking dirt terrain. The mounds of sand shift under your feet as you make your way up each mound. The sand is so soft that you sink in as you work your way up and down every dune.
There is no true path due to the winds sweeping through the sand. Tall red markers are placed from each point to guide you. Make sure to always keep your eye on the next trail marker while you are at the top of each dune. This is not the place for off trail venturing. It doesn’t take much to lose your bearings out in the middle of these dunes.
Take a gallon of water per person with you. Do it. The desert does not mess around.
Along the dunes you can witness what remains of the footsteps of those who trekked before you. Look closely and you might be lucky enough to find wildlife tracks. The desert is mostly barren aside from the twisting trunks of the desert willow and rubber rabbit brush. Farther out you might spot pedestals created by skunkbrush sumac like tiny islands.
It only takes a mile or two to feel completely isolated from the world. A shimmering ocean of sand in every direction. Snaking lines carved for miles by the wind. You can feel why New Mexico is the Land of Enchantment out there.
Welp, that right there is not a picture of me (Blackbird) and this is not *technically* a recipe, so the title of this article is A GIANT LIE. But wait!! It’s gonna be worth it, promise. In the latest episode, we discuss the many virtues of taking a bath with herbs, so I thought I would share with you what we do to de-stress and have a magical bath!
All four of us grow a variety of herbs, and you can put anything in your bath that you want, but here’s a short list of herbs that are awesome in a bath and some of their properties. Make sure you wash your fresh herbs well before putting them in the bath with you. Once you are in the bath, you can rub them on yourself, tear them to release more of their awesomeness, or just chill. Hopefully you will feel relaxed and refreshed! Make sure to get all the herbs out with a net or your hands before draining the tub – save those pipes from clogging. You can also use dried herbs or flower petals – still a very nice effect!
Basil: Cleansing, protection, spirit flight
Rosemary: Focus, healing, banishing, love
Mint: Energy, divination
Lavender: Calming, relaxation, dreamwork (don’t fall asleep in your tub!)
Oregano: Tranquility, love, dreamwork, happiness
Enjoy your bath – I guarantee it will lift your spirits and help enhance your awesomeness.
– Great news! These Women Legislators Advanced ‘Rape Kit’ Reform Through the Texas Legislature.- Folk remedy Thunder God Vine “could be a new generation of emergency contraceptive,” according to Dr Polina Lishko, University of California, Berkeley.- Try the Stance app. Record a voice message and will send it directly to your representative’s phone.
– If you live in CA, CT, DE, HI, MA, MN, NY, OR, PR, RI, VT, VA, WA write or call your governor to thank them for supporting the Paris Accord. If you do not live in these states, contact your governor to encourage them to do so!
Below you will find items from previous newsletters that are still relevant:
– Head to the House of Representatives website to find your rep in congress and contact them! Emails are great, phone calls are better, but do something. Contact them until the poor, unpaid interns who have to answer the phones all day know you by name. Contact them until everyone cries because you will not stop until your rep knows exactly where you stand on all the issues.
– Follow your congress(wo)man on Twitter or periodically check-in (if clouding your social media feed with their trash is too repulsive), representatives will often tweet about upcoming town halls. Attend town halls.
– If you are in a time crunch and want to contact your senators or representatives but can’t get to a town hall, check out this genius texting bot called Resistbot. You will have to come up with a short message, but the bot will fax your legislators DAILY if you so desire.
– The Women’s March is a goldmine of resources and suggested actions to combat the growing voice of racism, bigotry, and sexism. Follow them on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram as well!
– Check out The American Civil Liberties Union’s (ACLU) handy-dandy doc Know Your Rights for when you’re out there on the street peacefully protesting and expressing your motherfuckin’ right to civil disobedience. In fact, while you’re at it, donate some cash monies if you can. Here in ‘Merica we vote with our dollars.
– One of the handiest resistance guides out right now is the Indivisible Guide. A wealth of information and actions.
-If you are a Texas resident, you can go to the Texas Legislature Online and sign-up for an account, allowing you to view legislative content and add bills to an alert list. Whenever a bill you’ve put on your list is updated, you’ll receive an alert. Also, feel free to check out our list of Texas legislative bills that we are monitoring and updating. Stay woke, witches.
– Don’t over extend yourself! Yes, we’d all like to fix all the problems right the fuck now, but that’s not practical. You will burn yourself out if you try to keep up with everything in this country (and world for that matter) that needs fixing, so we recommend you come up with a short list of the most important social issues to you. This does not mean you don’t care about everything! We know you do! But we can’t all be doing everything all the time.
Our rituals are Frankensteined and Mad-Libbed together and they are free for you to share! Keep what you like, ditch what you don’t. Cut, paste, curse, and cure. Tell us what happens.
Last year’s ritual with invocations to Sunna, Sekhmet, and Apollo plus and except for Liber Nox: A Traditional Witch’s Gramarye by Michael Howard.
Google Doc- click for full text